WELCOME TO NEW VISIONS/NEW VOICES!
New Visions/New Voices (NV/NV) is a rigorous after-school theatre training program for high school students in the New York City metropolitan area. It is the only after-school program in the United States to exclusively focus on the techniques of stage direction as a lens into exploration -- empowering students with creative skill-building, personal agency, and leadership techniques to discover, trust, speak, and amplify their personal voice and visions of the world around them.
Students have the opportunity to work with professional actors and directors throughout the course, to help them manifest their creative growth. The lessons taught in NV/NV can spark future career interest in theatre, other creative industries, or non-artistic professions -- law, medicine, marketing, politics, science, and more -- where the tools learned are directly applicable and essential.
New Visions/New Voices is offered at no cost to the student. The class will meet in-person at The Drama League. Transportation (via MTA) is available at no cost for those who need it.
Please check out our YouTube page for past New Vision/New Voices shorts. Our most recent set of shorts can be viewed here.
Expand your ability to...
Comprehend. Question. Articulate.
New Visions/New Voices gives high school students the ability to confidently analyze and critically respond to any situation in life, by utilizing utilizing the techniques of creative direction. Through understanding the power of one’s own voice and influence, one can meaningfully impact communities and the world. In this after-school course, students interact with, and learn from, directors, actors, and other professionals from Broadway, Off-Broadway, film, and television. Through active exercises, they learn to deepen their critical thinking and express their personal inner vision.
Students, under the guidance of Teaching Artists, will learn techniques to write and direct scenes and monologues performed by professional actors. This immersion into art-making broadens and refines their aesthetics, while illuminating the possibilities inside a career in the cultural sector. During the final weeks of the program, students will write their own monologues and/or scenes to direct short films, which will be shared in a work-in-progress showing.
- This program is open to all enrolled high school students across the five boroughs. Students outside of New York City need to email Nilan, Associate Artistic Director at email@example.com before applying
- Students will need to abide to the New Visions/New Voices Winter/Spring 2023 Calendar (Click here)
- Classes will be held: January 18, 2023 - June 7, 2023. All Classes meet on WEDNESDAYS from 4-6pm, All Saturdays in April 2023 are held for rehearsals (times TBA)
- All students applying to the program this cycle must be vaccinated and will be required to show proof of vaccination for all in-person classes and events. Please note that all Drama League Staff and Guest Artists are vaccinated
- 3rd Annual New Visions/New Voices does...SHORTS will be held on June 7, 2023 at 7pm
To participate, students will have to turn in signed approval from their parent/guardian once offered a spot in the program.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications Open: October 6, 2022 Deadline: January 3, 2023 at 11:59pm
The application may take up to 15-20mins. It consists of a few general questions about yourself and a couple of short essay questions.
For questions or concerns please contact Nilan, Associate Artistic Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 212-244-9494 x116